Subject: Another G.Wolfe book set in Urth milieu?

From: Andrew Stevens <as at comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 10:39:22 +0000

Dear all,

Am I hallucinating?

On a recent trip to the U.S. I could swear I either saw a flyer for, or a
hard-back copy of, a new book by Gene Wolfe set in the Universe of the
Book/Urth of the New Sun.

Anyone know anything about this, or was it all just a wonderful dream!

Andrew Stevens
Programmming Research Group
11 Keble Road, Oxford, England
OX1 3QD
+44 0865 272563
Andrew.Stevens at prg.oxford.ac.uk

---

From: Reilly F. Hayes <rfh at das.ml.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 14:22:18 +0000

as at comlab.ox.ac.uk (Andrew Stevens) writes:
>Book/Urth of the New Sun.  Anyone know anything about this, or was it all
>just a wonderful dream!

Yes, you did see something.  I thought that I saw the book at Worldcon, but
I just checked LOCUS and the book is not due out until June 1994.  It is to
be called _Calde_of_the_Long_Sun_.  It will be published in hardcover by
Tor.  Unfortunately, LOCUS' list of forthcoming books for the UK does not
list it.

Reilly Hayes

---

From: Dani Zweig <dani at netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 02:21:09 +0000

>Book/Urth of the New Sun.

The first book in the new series, "Nightside the Long Sun", has been out
for a few months, and the second should be out some time this coming year.
It takes place on what appears to be a huge generation spaceship, and the
only evidence to date that it's in the same universe as The Book of the New
Sun is in the cover blurbs.  NtLS does not have the same magic as TBotNS,
but it's very good nonetheless, and it could become better as the story
progresses.

(Wolfe seems to be following the same pattern of exposing his protagonist
to an increasingly large world.  Just as "Shadow of the Torturer" only
serves to get Severian out of the guild and then out of the city, while
introducing us to his world, "Nightside the Long Sun" serves to get the
protagonist (a priest of sorts) onto the streets and involved with the
local underworld, while introducing us to his world.)

Dani Zweig

---

From: Patrick Nielsen-Hayden <pnh at panix.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 11:16:12 +0000

rfh at das.ml.com (Reilly F. Hayes) writes:
>Yes, you did see something.  I thought that I saw the book at Worldcon,
>but I just checked LOCUS and the book is not due out until June 1994.  It
>is to be called _Calde_of_the_Long_Sun_.  It will be published in
>hardcover by Tor.  Unfortunately, LOCUS' list of forthcoming books for the
>UK does not list it.

Ahem.  CALDE OF THE LONG SUN is the _third_ volume of the new four-volume
BOOK OF THE LONG SUN.  The first volume, NIGHTSIDE THE LONG SUN, has been
out in hardcover for several months and will appear in paperback this
December.  The second volume, LAKE OF THE LONG SUN, will appear in January
1994.  CALDE OF THE LONG SUN will appear in late 1994.  All from Tor.

(The British publisher is New English Library; the hardcover packages are
identical.)

Patrick Nielsen Hayden
senior editor
Tor Books