Subject: Gene Wolfe

From: William G. Sinkins <wsinkins at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 15:41:24 +0000

Some years ago Wolfe wrote three stories (novellas?) called "Island of
Doctor Death", "Doctor of Death Island", and "Death of Doctor Island".  I'm
trying to track them down.  Does anyone know where they have been
anthologised?  I know that "Death of Doctor Island" was released as part of
the Tor Doubles series (and I have it) but I haven't been able to find the
other two.  Thanks.

Bill Sinkins

---

From: A Adams <csc8aaa at gps0.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 16:29:42 +0000

Surely "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories" is part of _The
Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories_

(And yes, I'm fairly certain they're the right titles.)

Don't know about the others though, I haven't got that collection.  I don't
remember them from Endangered Species, but I've only read the first half.

---

From: Mike Scott <mike at moose.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 18:22:26 +0000

wsinkins at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu writes:
>Doctor Death", "Doctor of Death Island", and "Death of Doctor Island".

That's "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories", "The Doctor of Death
Island" and "The Death of Dr. Island".

>I'm trying to track them down.  Does anyone know where they have been
>anthologised?  I know that "Death of Doctor Island" was released as part
>of the Tor Doubles series (and I have it) but I haven't been able to find
>the other two.  Thanx.

All three are in _The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other
Stories_ (sic).  Copyright date is 1980.  My edition is the UK one, so the
publishing details wouldn't be much use to you.

Mike Scott
Mike at moose.demon.co.uk

---

From: William G. Sinkins <wsinkins at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 21:28:04 +0000

eppstein at wormwood.ics.uci.edu (David Eppstein) writes:
> You left out "The Death of the Island Doctor".

Whoops!  I left it out because I didn't know about it!  Now that means I
have one more story to find.  Oh well, I'm sure that it will be worth the
effort.

Bill Sinkins

---

From: The Senile Scrutinizer <curtw at euler.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 16:28:12 +0000

eppstein at wormwood.ics.uci.edu (David Eppstein) wrote:
> You left out "The Death of the Island Doctor".  And the first one is
> titled "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories".  The canonical
> source for the first three is a book called "The Island of Doctor Death
> and Other Stories and Other Stories".  I forget the title of the book
> containing all four.

That would be _The Wolfe Archipelago_.

Curt
curtw at euler.jsc.nasa.gov