Subject: New Sun and Long Sun with spoilers

From: myong <myong at harp.aix.calpoly.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 21:02:17 +0000

mce at halcyon.com (Brian McElhinney) writes:
>> Wolfe has also begun a new series, The Book of the Long Sun, which is
>> allegedly related to the New Sun books, though the relationship is
>> unclear so far.
>
>Seems pretty clear to me.  Am I missing something?
>
>   1) It's printed on the book cover.

I tend not too lend too much credence to "cover blurbs".  I've found them
to be misleading and just plain wrong in the past.

>   2) - SPOILER - The two-headed ruler, who came to power incredibly
>    quickly, is named Typhon.  Which also describes the Typhon in the New
>    Sun books.

   Yes, I caught that too - a single mention of Typhon made in passing.
   I might add a third connection myself, the stylistic similarities.
   None of these things constitute a strong connection to my mind.  Based
on the internal evidence so far, the only real thing we have is the one
line about Typhon.  Since "Typhon" is the name of a monster from Greek
myth, it could conceivably be unrelated to the New Sun Typhon.  I'm sure
that you are right, but the relationship seems superfluous and unnecessary
so far.  Maybe it will become more than that before the series is over.
   Ironically, if Wolfe hadn't named Pas as Typhon, I would be have been
more enthusiastic about the connection.  That kind of hidden relationship
is more his style.