Subject: _Soldier of the Mist_ by Gene Wolfe

From: David Kennedy <d.kennedy at qub.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:26:15 +0000

I picked up a second hand copy of Gene Wolfe's _Soldier of the Mists_ a few
days ago, having never heard of it before.

It's excellent. But I have a few questions (well, I always do after a Wolfe
book!).

Firstly, the book seems to end abruptly, many plot elements are unresolved
and I feel that, although the cover doesn't make it clear, there is a
sequel (or two)? Anyone any info on this?  I'd really like to find it if
there is.

Secondly, well, I admit it, my history is scant, and while I managed to
piece together most of it from childhood reading of 'myths and legends'
type books I'm a bit shaky on the events covered to be sure of what I'm
reading. I'm not a complete idiot on the subject, its just that I know only
little bits and pieces.

I mean, I figured out that Latro is a Roman (isn't he? :-) ), that it must
be Xerxes' army that figures so prominantly, I spotted the Spartans
etc. but on the whole I was never quite sure where I was or what the
significance of many of the battles, places and people were. Or the gods,
I'm not too familiar with some of them either!  (I vividly remember the
Immortals from childhood readings of big old history books my dad had
though! Very dramatic stuff)

So, as I have seen extensive stuff on the Book of the New Sun, is there
anything similar for the _Soldier_ book(s)? A FAQ, however brief, might
help clarify things on rereading. And I will reread this very soon, I
enjoyed it more than anything I've read for a long time. It's also more
'readable' than his other books that I have read, having real people,
locations, mythology and settings to work with anchors him a litte better.
Recommended. A+ Try this if you were put off by his Book of the New Sun
novels.

Plot synopsis: Latro is a former soldier who, due to a head wound, cannot
remember for more than a day. So he keeps a scroll dairy where he writes
all that happens to him (this is the novel), however he can now see and
talk to gods. But of course he won't remember that the next day either...
So, a mixed bag of people head off on a (often random seeming) journey
where Things Happen and Latro Has Adventures as a result of his unique
condition.

David Kennedy
D.Kennedy at Queens-Belfast.ac.uk