Subject: Gene Wolfe, certain books any good?

From: Adam Rosenblatt, M.D. <arosenba at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:19:58 +0000

I thought that The Book of the New Sun was one of the most amazing series I
have ever read.  I am wondering what would be people's recommendations
about certain others of his books.  Has anyone read the books about the
Long Sun or whatever the heck it's called, where people are living on some
kind of a generation starship making a long journey?  Do they take place in
the same world as the Book of the New Sun?  Also has anyone read Soldier in
the Mist?  I have it, but did not buy the sequel Soldier of Arete, because
I hadn't read the first one yet.  I hope I don't regret that decision now
if it is hard to find.  In The Book of the New Sun, he showed a terrific
grasp of mythology and retelling which makes me suspect that these books
might be really good?

---

From: David Kennedy <d.kennedy at qub.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 10:38:28 +0000

Yes, I've read the 'Long Sun' books, they're superb but with an ending I
either didn't get at all or just flat out didn't like.  However there is
apparently a followup series coming so...  I'll reserve judgement until
then. But its certainly a great series.

>Do they take place in the same world as the Book of the New Sun?

In my opinion, no.

>Also has anyone read Soldier in the Mist?  I have it, but did not buy the
>sequel Soldier of Arete, because I hadn't read the first one yet.  I hope
>I don't regret that decision now if it is hard to find.  In The Book of
>the New Sun, he showed a terrific grasp of mythology and retelling which
>makes me suspect that these books might be really good?

I loved 'Soldier of the Mist' and, like you, cannot find 'Soldier of
Arete', which is a pity. I liked this best of the all Wolfe's books that
I've read. The historical grounding helps a lot, it makes it a lot easier
to catch on to whats happening, something that often doesn't happen when I
read a Wolfe book until I've already missed a lot...!

David Kennedy
D.Kennedy at Queens-Belfast.ac.uk

---

From: RRHMAH <rrhmah at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:58:08 +0000

Wolfe is also a remarkable short story writer, and I recommend all his
short story collections very very highly.

Rich Horton

---

From: A^3 <aaa@keith>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:43:26 +0000

Soldier of Arete was remaindered. I've seen a number of copies around in
remainder stores in the last few months. It's also moderately available
second hand.

---

From: Hugues ROBERT <hrobert at iway.fr>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 09:30:41 +0000

One could also mention The Fifth Head of Cerberus, which was his second
published novel (1972), and already a masterpiece. It is made of three
closely related stories, about power, cloning and extraterrestrial
anthropology (yes !), but to explain how the stories are related would
clearly spoil your pleasure...

---

From: Kevin Maroney <kjm at panix.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:35:03 +0000

>>Do they take place in the same world as the Book of the New Sun?

Yes, unmistakably, but very obliquely. The connection could be severed and
not significantly alter the _Long Sun_, as nearly as I can tell, although
it was a great little shiver when the connection was revealed.

Kevin J. Maroney