Subject: New publication info for Gene Wolfe's FREE LIVE FREE

From: Donn Seeley <donn@utah-cs>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1985 07:58:34 +0000

I'm not particularly up-to-date on the vagaries of the sf publishing
business, but I just received some publishing information that may
be of interest to fans of Gene Wolfe.  Wolfe's novel FREE LIVE FREE,
which was written in 1983, was not published as expected in 1984
because of the demise of Pocket Books' Timescape sf line.  Instead
Mark Ziesing published a special limited edition of the book in late
1984.  I talked to Mark Ziesing on the phone this week and asked him
about the prospects for a trade edition of the novel.  Ziesing said
that he had some information that he wasn't completely certain of;
the gist of it was that the book would appear as a Tor or Baen trade
hardcover sometime in late 1985.  (This may have something to do
with the fact that David Hartwell, Wolfe's editor at Timescape, is
now an 'acquisitions editor' for Tor, among his other occupations,
according to Norman Spinrad's column in LOCUS #289.) I have a copy
of Ziesing's beautiful (and expensive) edition, but this new edition
would mean that more than 750 people would get to enjoy this warm,
funny, STRANGE book...

Wishing I knew when THE URTH OF THE NEW SUN will come out,