Subject: Gene Wolfe small press books

From: Linda Wald <math.linda at locus.ucla.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1986 23:58:42 +0000

all my letters to Laurence Roberts bounced ........

Castle of the Otter first showed up as a reviewers goof -- he
thought that the fourth book of the book of the New Sun was so
titled. Wolfe then wrote it anyway -- the subtitle is 'a book about
the Book of the New Sun'. It contains essays, history, some
background, and even one chapter where all the main characters (who
were willing) stand up and tell a joke. If you liked Book of the New
Sun, you'll probably enjoy it. It's available from the Science
Fiction Book Club.

Plan[e]t Engineering is NOT reprints from Plant Engineering (by the
way, Wolfe is now writing full time .) It was published by NESFA
press, and may still be available from them. It commemorates Wolfes
appearence as Boscone XXI GoH.  The stories , articles and poems
were chosen by a jury of NESFA members.  It includes 'Books in the
Book of the New Sun' and 'The Computer Iterates the Greater Trumps'
as well as stories and , oh yes, one article from Plant Engineering
on 'The Anatomy of a Robot' . I enjoyed the collection. If you too
enjoy Wolfe, I can reasonably safely say you will too. Good luck
getting ahold of it.

I read the Ziesing edition of Free Live Free and liked it. If such
things bother you, it's really only borderline sf. I haven't read
the Tor edition, but A Change of Hobbit has it as does Mark Ziesing
Booksellers (P.O.Box 806 Willimantic CT. 06226).

Enjoy,