Subject: _Free Live Free_ free recommend

From: Randy Murray <rtm at cbosgd.att.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1986 20:27:00 +0000

I just finished Gene Wolfe's _Free Live Free_.  I tried for months
to get a copy and the paperback just came out.

Now for my partially weird recommendation:

I liked it.
Hell, I enjoyed it.

But you (yes you) probably won't like it.

This is a book for those you love reading.  I didn't say people who
love science fiction, fantasy, etc . . .  This is a book much like
(although not at all like) _Peace_.  If you can take a book and put
it aside until you have the time, sit and relax, listen to the story
(yes I mean listen), think, and most of all, not read to much at a
time you might try _Free Live Free_.  However, if you are the type
that has to read something once it's in your hands and stay up till
you drop, you may not care for this or any other of Wolfe's books.

Wolfe's writing is, for me, thought provoking and, well for lack of
better words, soothing.  I'm not a big enough snob about literature
to read things just because someone says I should.  I read what I
want.  Fortunately, the more I read, the more I want to know, so I
end up wanting to read most things that people say I should.  There
are very few things I regret having wasted my time on.

On the other hand, while hungry for science fiction I find that I
read a lot and sometimes go for long periods unsatisfied.  I've
heard some complain that Wolfe is to much work, but I really believe
that this comes form that headlong rush to absorb plot and
adventure.  If you can sit by the fireside and dream away as the
storyteller weaves his convoluted story, you may get something out
of Wolfe's work.

I have his newest _Soldier of the Mist_, but I'm tempted just to
hold it (though I doubt that I will) until the remainder is
published.

Here's one final test: If you can read _Godel, Esher, and Bach_ and
I mean read it with enjoyment and understanding, then you MAY enjoy
Wolfe.

No comments about intellect or taste, because frankly I don't put
much stock in what some people will label them.  Just don't bother
with this book unless you are really inclined, not because someone
told you that if you were smart and had good taste you would.

If you want to give Wolfe a short term and interesting trial read
_The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories_.

Randal T. Murray
cbosgd!rtm
AT&T Bell Laboratories
6200 E. Broad, Columbus, OH 43213
PH(614)860-5895

---

From: Bruce Holloway <drivax!holloway at rutgers.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1986 16:34:16 +0000

>_The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories_.

Or try "The Fourth Head of Cerberus".