Subject: Book of the New Sun QUESTIONS

From: Ron Warren Evans <evansr@yale-zoo-suned..arpa>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1987 00:32:08 +0000

A couple of years ago I read on article on this group re: Gene
Wolfe's BOOK OF THE NEW SUN. The author had carefully scrutinised
the tetralogy and had laid bare a number of Wolfe's literary games
for our edification and enjoyment. He asked, for example, if we
could trace Severian's family tree, could determine the connection
between the coin Severian hides and the one Dr. Talos gives him at
the end of THE CITADEL OF THE AUTARCH, could discover Wolfe's many
allusions to Borges.

I am wondering if anyone has this article and can send it to me, or,
barring that, whether anyone can remember those questions or, even
better, come up with a few of their own. Answers are cool too! B^)
Hypotheses are welcomed as well, especially those about the
questions I mentioned above.

I look forward to hearing from y'all, and hope this starts a new
dialogue.  THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN is rich, complex, beautiful, and
puzzling, and it deserves to be discussed.

Ron Warren Evans
evansr at SUNED.ZOO.CS.YALE.EDU.UUCP
evaronw at YALEVM.BITNET