Subject: Re: Author Lists: Gene Wolfe

From: Jeremy Crampton <ele at psuvm.bitnet>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1989 13:22:39 +0000

JWenn.ESAE at XEROX.COM says:
>Gene Wolfe.  His early work is mixed ("The Fifth Head of Cerberus" is

For those of you who are interested in Wolfe, I have produced a fanzine
_The_Book_of_Gold_ which discusses various aspects of his work (e.g., the
women in The Book, _Soldier_of_the_Mist_, an article on cyberpunk).  Drop
me an email note or write to:

Jeremy Crampton
302 Walker Building
University Park
PA 16802
USA.

>   Soldier of the Mist [1986]
>   Soldier of Arte [June 1989]

That's actually "arete;" it means the gentlemanly skills to be found in the
best soldier.  Unfortunately it looks as if the series will stop here.  GW
was going to write a third book _The_Soldier_of_Sidon_ (and possibly more)
but his publisher (Tor Books) is not obligated to buy it.  _Arete_ features
the quadrennial Pythian games at Delphi, which were held inbetween the
Olympic games.  Latro is a competitor.

Jeremy