Subject: (urth) Book of Mirrors

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:10:00 +0000

Dan,

Re: the incident with the Book of Mirrors.  Granted that Appian knows
more about Severian's destiny as future autarch than Severian (who is
clueless at that point), and granted that Appian is suprised at the
sudden request, thinking that he had more time, still I think this
episode is more an innocent mistake rather than anything sinister by
Appian.

A case where if Appian had =less= information about Severian, then he
would have taken the question about "the garden" as being about the
mundane grounds above the House Absolute rather than about
Yesod--"the Garden."  (Muttering: "They never tell me anything!
Maybe they want him to go there once ahead of time?  Who knows--he's
in such a hurry.")

IMHO this is a human touch, a showing that it isn't quite a vast
conspiracy, with everybody-but-Severian having 100% knowledge of not
only him but their own role to play; or, the antithesis--that even
the finest alien conspiracy is subject to bungling from participants
who really should know better.

Likewise, Severian's confusion after having passed the Test: What is
the New Sun; Where is it in space/time; How can I bring it anywhere;
etc.  The few answers he gets to any of these questions are vague,
like those of an adult to a child.

 "Well Severian, you've just redeemed Urth--what next?"
 "I'm going to Disneyland!"

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/