Subject: (urth) Lexicon Urthus

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:51:00 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Concerning the geography discussion, Michael Andre-Driussi's (mantis')
_Lexicon Urthus_ has an excellent map illustrating my points in the
previous post.

Seeing those carved mountains has reminded me of the question of how
all of them could have been carved in the one to two thousand years
Wolfe said had passed between Typhon and Severian's time.  Well, since
the time of the Conciliator to the narration of the books is like the
time of Jesus to the present (between 1000 and 2000 describes the
present) maybe he was being metaphoric when he said that he had always
thought of it as being like between those times, comparing it to what
we have experienced.  Or he may have been confused at the time when
thinking about how he intended the metaphorical correlation.

In the books, the time period is given as "thirty thousand years" by
Agia, and "many chiliads" by Severian.  They could be wrong, but this
would be plenty of time for the mountains to be carved, and be in tune
with the action in the book and mantis' timeline.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/