Subject: (urth) pure Wolfe

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:17:34 +0000

Prion writes:

>Yet another piece of evidence that Aunt Jeannine in _The Fith Head of
>Cerberus_ is really an abo impostor.
>
>On page 52 of the Orb edition, No. 5 describes her withered legs as
>"like the sticks David and I used as little boys, when doing parlor
>magic, we wished Mr. Million to believe us lying prone when we were in
>fact crouched beneath our own supposed figures."
>
>He's comparing her legs to devices used to deceive and make one thing
>seem to be another, to conceal.

It's also a wonderful image: two little boys putting on a magic show
for a robot.

I must say that some of R. Borski's wilder speculations sometimes
leave me scratching my head, this one, with the supporting points of
others, such as this post, are starting to convince me about the
Jeannine-as-abo hypothesis.

But I still have this niggling feeling that 5HC, more than the other
major Wolfe novels that I've read is actually ambiguous: that there
might not be a right answer, just greater or lesser probabilities.

D

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/