Subject: (urth) unsubscribe

From: Internet Megantic <support at megantic.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 09:31:07 +0000

At 16:10 02-08-98 -0700, you wrote:
>
>-------------- BEGIN urth.v017.n012 --------------
>
>    001 - "Peter T. Cash" <PTCash@i - ground wire
>    002 - mary whalen <marewhalen@y - (urth) Aquastor!!!
>    003 - mary whalen <marewhalen@y - (urth) Notule
>    004 - m.driussi at genie.com       - (urth) Aquastor!!!
>
>URTH Digest -- for discussion of Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE urth.v017.n012.1 ---------------
>
>From: "Peter T. Cash" <PTCash at ibm.net>
>Subject: ground wire
>Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 17:19:59 -0700
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain;
>	charset="iso-8859-1"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>Robert Borski wrote:
>
>> I'd like to suggest the following
>>about "Silhouette:" in my opinion it's meant to be read as the science
>>fiction equivalent of a medieval Mystery Play. Throw in a little Francis
>
>
>This is a compelling suggestion. The German names would make sense in that
>context, wouldn't they? Weren't these plays a Germanic phenomenon?
>...
>>Neuerddraht--German for "New Earth Wire
>
>Actually, I believe it's better translated as "new ground wire". Perhaps
>Wolfe was staring at a German circuit diagram when he was thinking about
>this story.
>
>Hmmm. The ground wire is connected to...well...the ground, or the earth. The
>inner Earth was traditionally thought to be location of Hell, so the imagery
>really isn't inconsistent with your interpretation at all. The ground wire
>draws the current down, into the earth, where it is lost.
>
>So if the ground wire is Hell, what is Heaven? The antenna?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE urth.v017.n012.2 ---------------
>
>From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
>Subject: (urth) Aquastor!!!
>Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>This is Sean Whalen (prion).
>
>I think that I have found the name aquastor.  While reading about
>golems, I saw that aquastor is the mystical name for a created being,
>such as a golem or homunculus.
>
>One legend about the golem is that God told a Jew to sculpt a man out
>of the clay of the River Jordan.  On this was placed a tablet
>inscribed with the name of god (remember the Hierodules' lecture on
>souls being like carved words?).  The golem was then a healer; a slave
>of the Jews.  Any Jew who looked on it was healed.  This resembles
>Severian so much, I can't help but think it's related.
>
>Supposedly, the concentration and power of a trained mind is required
>for an aquastor's creation and maintenance.  Also, the creator is
>responsible for the actions of the aquastors it creates.
>
>Perhaps part of Severian's special relationship with the people from
>Yesod is that they made an eidolon of him when he died, and are
>responsible for him.  Why would they resurrect some anonymous Urth
>boy?  Because they knew him in his future, which is their past.  It's
>all cyclic, you see.
>
>In the BNS, if there is any difference between the terms eidolon and
>aquastor, it seems to be that the eidolon is created from the memories
>of the person being recreated.  Aquastors come from the memories of
>other people.  The mind from which the memories for the aquastor would
>not be able to tell that they were not the real people, since they
>would never act in a way that the originator wouldn't believe them to
>do, even if the real person would have done something different from
>that.  An eidolon would be exactly like the original, since it is
>created from the original's memories.  Actually, the eidolon would
>only be a perfect copy if the original had all the memories of its
>life.  A being with imperfect memory would have experienced things and
>have memories hidden (or unavailable) to its current memories, and
>would probably actually be slightly different from the original,
>though not in significant ways, since only remembered memories would
>probably have affected the original anyway.
>
>May I propose a theory?  Severian resurrects people; that is apparent.
> But, what do these renati do?  They do one of two things.  They
>appear normal to Severian if he knew them, or they have almost no
>memories if he didn't.  When Severian resurrects the uhlan, he acts
>like Sev. thinks an uhlan should act, and remembers what Sev. saw
>happen to him.  When Sev. resurrects the soldier, he has no memory,
>but acts in a way like Jonas, whom Sev. was reminded of when
>resurrecting him. He knows only what Sev. knew about him:  that he was
>a soldier, and that he had a love.  He even completely adopts the name
>Sev. decided to use for him.  The man animated by the necromancer was
>unknown to him, too, and has no memories except hatred for the
>necromancer, whom Sev. already knew had "raised" him.  There seems to
>be no reason for these people to have no memories, other than what
>Sev. knows about them.  This theory, if true, solves many problems and
>questions using only information provided in the books.
>
>When Sev. resurrects Thecla in his mind he had eaten part of her and
>the alzabo, so he had all of her memories when giving her life
>(recreating her soul in him).  We can't even be sure exactly what the
>process of autarchization is like to someone with imperfect memory and
>without revitalizing power.
>
>prion
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE urth.v017.n012.3 ---------------
>
>From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
>Subject: (urth) Notule
>Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:25:22 -0700 (PDT)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>This is Sean Whalen (prion).
>
>Here are the results of my exhaustive research into notules.  If this
>is actually what Wolfe meant, I'm actually stupefied to the extent
>he'll go for a silly pun.
>
>Notule is French for a short note, comment, or minute. It comes from
>Latin notula, the diminutive of nota (mark, token, note, sign).  A
>notula is a distinguishing mark or a mark of punctuation.  If a notule
>is supposed to resemble a vampire bat, the latter leaves a
>distinguishing mark:  a mark of puncturation.  Shudder.
>
>Robert Borski has also previously reported that a noctule is a red bat
>(Nyctalus noctula).  I've also found that it is the diminutive of
>notus (meaning well-known, famous), the diminutive of Notus (the south
>wind).  Notum is also the back part of an insect thorax.
>
>prion
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE urth.v017.n012.4 ---------------
>
>From: m.driussi at genie.com
>Subject: (urth) Aquastor!!!
>Date: Sun,  2 Aug 98 14:57:00 GMT
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>prion,
>
>Could we have a text citation for that "aquastor" tidbit?  Author,
>title, publisher, date of publication, page number of item.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>=mantis=
>
>
>--------------- END urth.v017.n012 ---------------
>
>
>*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/
>
>
/Serges
Internet Megantic
http://www.megantic.net/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/