Subject: (urth) Aquastors I have known and loved

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 07:33:48 +0000

>In the BNS, if there is any difference between the terms eidolon and
>aquastor, it seems to be that the eidolon is created from the memories
>of the person being recreated.  Aquastors come from the memories of
>other people.  The mind from which the memories for the aquastor would
>not be able to tell that they were not the real people, since they
>would never act in a way that the originator wouldn't believe them to
>do, even if the real person would have done something different from
>that.  An eidolon would be exactly like the original, since it is
>created from the original's memories.  Actually, the eidolon would
>only be a perfect copy if the original had all the memories of its
>life.  A being with imperfect memory would have experienced things and
>have memories hidden (or unavailable) to its current memories, and
>would probably actually be slightly different from the original,
>though not in significant ways, since only remembered memories would
>probably have affected the original anyway.

I am reminded also of the Tibetan "tulpa".  I was reading up on the
matter on a parapsychology website and it's interesting that
apparently a tulpa is sort of a phantom presence that is maintained by
its creator whereas a "tulku" is more of an independent, fully-formed
(though created) being.  Seems to correspond pretty nicely with the
aquastor/eidolon distinction.

>When Sev. resurrects Thecla in his mind he had eaten part of her and
>the alzabo, so he had all of her memories when giving her life
>(recreating her soul in him).  We can't even be sure exactly what the
>process of autarchization is like to someone with imperfect memory and
>without revitalizing power.

I should point out that this has been discussed at some length (check
the archives).

D

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/