Subject: (urth) Re: Watchmen, "pomo"

From: John Bishop <jbishop at blkbrd.zko.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 18:51:56 +0000

I'm another fan of "Watchmen"; are there other such you
can recommend?  I know about "Maus".

What is "pomo"?  There've been a number of references in
the discussion of Eco and "The Name of the Rose".  Personally,
I tend to hate any story that ends with the set blowing up,
no matter how good the lead-in has been--it's a cheap trick,
and overused.

One attraction of Wolfe's work for me is that he doesn't go
for the cheap effect.

       -John

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:33:20 +0000

> can recommend?  I know about "Maus".

The Dark Night Returns and V: For Vendetta are usually mentioned in the
same breath as Watchmen (which means you've probably heard of them already
too).

> the discussion of Eco and "The Name of the Rose".  

Just an abreviation for "post-modern."  Which, as near as I can tell from
common usage can mean either "I don't understand it, but I like it," or "I
don't understand it and I don't like it." 

-Rostrum

---

From: Marc Coleman <marc.coleman at mwcia.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 09:33:01 +0000

>same breath as Watchmen (which means you've probably heard of them already
I like V and Watchmen, though lately it's been the Sandman... marc