Subject: (urth) Recent Inactivity

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:57:54 +0000

For some reason, there has been not a single post over the last week. So, to
get some more activity, I'll ask for a review of the Wolfe book FREE LIVE
FREE. Is it worth buying? What style is it? I'd also like to know the basic
plot, as long as it doesn't spoil too much.

Thanks,

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
------------------------------------------------
"The darkest dreams are the ones that come true."
-Warren Defever

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Marc Coleman <marc.coleman at mwcia.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:20:22 +0000

>plot, as long as it doesn't spoil too much.
Been a while, but I remember it as a film-noir-comedy-mystery.  Some guy
named Free is letting people stay at his house free even tho it's going to
be demolished in a few days.  A witch, a prostitute, a private detective,
you get the idea.  I loved it, not New Sun but one of his weird sorta
mainstream but Wolfe messes with yr head anyways books.  I'd get it.
marc of Serotonia

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:52:48 +0000

> mainstream but Wolfe messes with yr head anyways books.  I'd get it.

I also think it's Wolfe's funniest book.

-Rostrum

---

From: Marc Coleman <marc.coleman at mwcia.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:15:40 +0000

>I also think it's Wolfe's funniest book.
Agreed (thinking of the hospital scene in particular).  Last time I read it
I thought it might make a good movie...    marc of Serotonia

---

From: Matthew Malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:50:14 +0000

> plot, as long as it doesn't spoil too much.

I finished it (my first reading) last week and found myself rather unsatisfied.

Being Wolfe I was trying to keep my brain receptive to clues and curios but
found nothing that really sparked. The denoument was particularly troubling.
Frankly I just didn't believe it.

Is it me, or is the book?

Matthew