Subject: (urth) The Brook Madregot

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 22:52:47 +0000

Jon Camfield said:
<Related question: are the distances in the Brook Madregot logarithmic? Have
we ever come up with further references to Madregot than the kabbalistic ones?
(remember, I'm new to the list and haven't completely read the archives, so if
it's there, tell me to go RTFM and I'll nicely shut up and go do some
reading)>

We've not often (ever?) talked much about the Brook beyond Briah, but I don't
think such a brook is mentioned in the Kaballah. The universes in the Kaballah
are usually parts of a "tree" and connected by "branches." But, the Brook
Madregot is simply Severian's way of perceiving the corridors of time, and
prolly looks differently for other people, like Master Ash and the Green Man.

And relating to the Brook Madregot, I think the stream on 8 Face Mound in
Orson Scott Card's "Alvin Maker" series is a geographic, as opposed to
temporal, variation on Wolfe's brook.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
------------------------------------------------

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/