Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v019.n011

From: Kieran Mullen <kieran at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:45:35 +0000

points such as "Who is Severian's mother?"  and "Who is Dorcas?"
and "Who is Severian's Father?"

   A completely unrelated point:  Do you believe the wounded soldier in
CotA is really Jonas returned?  Severian thinks so, but that doesn't 
mean that he's right.  I just never found Sev's reasoning very 
persuasive.

                    Kieran Mullen

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:14:56 +0000

At 23:45 1998-10-06 -0500, you wrote:
>   Is there a FAQ?  I think we need one for some important plot 

I'm very taken with prion's theory that Severian is recreating people
from memory, rather like the creation of an aquastor. See his post (from
the account "mary whalen") on 1998-08-01. Under this theory Severian would
be "rewriting" the soldier's mind to match his (S's) memory of Jonas, which
would account for it taking such a long time. Read the original mail; it's
very good.

Spectacled Bear.