Subject: (urth) Daughter Catherine

From: Robert Borski <rborski at coredcs.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 16:44:34 +0000

Earlier, I asserted Catherine (Severian's mother) to be the daughter of
Valeria. So then, who's her father? It's Dux Caesidius, Valeria's second
husband. According to Eata, Caesidius is taller than Severian (which would
given Catherine her height), but looks very similar (hence the source of
Cath's dark looks).

Ouen also tells us "Catherine" is an old-fashioned name and Valeria's
family has been mired in the past for centuries. Valeria, also having no
living relatives ("I am all the sisters we breed. And all the sons"), would
almost certainly want to reproduce if she remarried.

Catherine also has access to the Corridors of Time.

As for who issued the warrant for her arrest (or more likely ordered her to
remain confined), I believe it's Palaemon--but that's the subject of
another post.

Re mantis' Cyriaca points: the reason I thought she might be married to
Racho is because her husband is stated to be in Nessus (SWORD, p.44) and
she is a former Pelerine postulant--which seems to link her to the race
where we re-encounter Racho, which ends in the monial's tent cathedral. At
any rate I can think of no other reason we should meet him twice. 

Robert Borski  

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/