Subject: (urth) The Palindromes, Ma & Pa

From: Robert Borski <rborski at coredcs.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 01:43:54 +0000

This is the last of the major genealogical timeloop inversions of New Sun.

Father Inire's name derives from Latin and means "to begin, to enter." Like
many of the other incestuously involved couples of Urth (Agia, Agilus; Sev,
Dorcas;Sev, Valeria), he too is sleeping with a blood relative--his sister,
the Cumaean.

And who are their parents? (Tony Ellis came very close to figuring this
out). 

They're Severian and Apheta (whose name means "starting place").

Now somebody dare tell me Gene Wolfe does not have one wicked sense of
humor!

Robert Borski  

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:49:58 +0000

>Now somebody dare tell me Gene Wolfe does not have one wicked sense of

Well, *somebody* has a wicked sense of humor, anyway.

William Ansley