Subject: (urth) CE

From: Alice Turner <al at smtp.emailserv.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:20:08 +0000

Well, actually, corncrake, I was speaking Buddhistically. Note that I said
"next life," not "next world." Heh heh.

>> The transcription is done entirely by volunteers. If any of you has
access
>> to a university library with the CE (the site helpfully lists locations
for
>> you) and a scanner, you will build up merit in the next life by helping
them
>> out.

>Oh, that's neat.  If you're a Protestant, and believe in justification
>by faith alone, you don't need the merit, and don't get to transcribe
>the Catholic Encyclopedia.

>(Well, maybe GW would appreciate the joke.  I'm sure Borges would.)

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:00:40 +0000

Thanks, Alex, for the CE "Severus" and "Severian." Actually, I think I
prefer the lite OED version, where one can fill in the blanks oneself.

-alga

---

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:23:00 +0000

up.)  I agree that the entries don't exactly elucidate anything the OED
doesn't.  Simon Magus is a little longer and will have to wait until later (and
with or without the article it's clear he's the type for Cyrix).  It's
interesting to examine the differences between that and Severian's jungle
"magic duel."  Sev. handles "heathens" and "heretics," if you will,
differently--although the distinguishing factor is situational, rather than
based on any larger principle (which makes sense, Severian being a kind of
idiot savant most of the time with respect to his miraculous abilities).

-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
Senior (Computer Science/Multidisciplinary Studies in Technology & Fiction)
'98-99 NCSU AITP Student Chapter President
608 Charleston Road, Apt. 1E (919)-233-7366
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce