Subject: (urth) Mani and Thor

From: Peter T. Cash <ptcash at ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:22:03 +0000

alga said:

>But yes, with reservations about Erebus, Abaia & co., who are echoing the
>more dualist parts of Revelation.  I said that Dr. Talos's play is
>Manichaean. Which it certainly is--the gothic tradition to which
Baldanders,
>Talos and all horror novelists belong is necessarily dualistic.

"Privatio boni" won't do for Gothic novels? _Necessarily_ dualistic?
Umm...well you are a micro-organism of definite opinions, so I'll just
gently suggest that I'm not convinced.

When you say that the play is "Manichaean", I take it that you mean it
implies a dualistic cosmology or theology. I suppose that it does; but then
it implies lots of things. Indeed, the play struck me as a somewhat tacky,
improvised kitchen-sink composite of just about every apocalyptic-second
creation myth that I'd ever heard. (I'm surprised the Aesir don't put in an
appearance.) I suppose this is in keeping with a play-within-a-novel that is
a "grand sword 'n sorcery revision of the New Testament". I really like that
assessment, by the way.

Sgt. Rock

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:48:56 +0000

Necessarily seems a bit much to me, as well.  Maybe necessarily somewhat
suggestive of dualism...  Come to think of it, Lovecraft isn't
dualistic--there's only a dark side...

On Oct 15, 11:22pm, Peter T. Cash wrote:
> Subject: (urth) Mani and Thor
> alga said:
> 
>-- End of excerpt from Peter T. Cash

-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
Senior (Computer Science/Multidisciplinary Studies in Technology & Fiction)
'98-99 NCSU AITP Student Chapter President
608 Charleston Road, Apt. 1E (919)-233-7366
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce