Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v019.n025

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:59:29 +0000

A megatherium speaks (I believe that is what Mr. Borski invoked, though he
spelled it wrong):

>Anybody have any notions how Terminus Est came into the possession of
>Palaemon? The sword, after all, is no mere carnificial sword, but a
>valuable weapon, owing to its smithing by Jovinian (Agilus claims it's
>worth a villa). But Palaemon is a mere torturer and the guild itself
>appears to be in rather dire finances;

>Thoughts, opinions, conjectures? (I'll spare you mine, not wanting to incur
>the ire of this list's megatherians.)

I have always taken Palaemon's slip in Shadow XIII--asked where Thrax is, he
says "Down Gyoll. Near the sea," when in fact it is in the opposite
direction--to mean that he has something of a past, that he may have been
exiled from the guild to that place for something similar in his youth, and
that he made it up with the help of a senior advocate, as he hopes Sev will.
If that is so, perhaps he acquired the sword, which is certainly suitable
for a journeyman torturer, in somewhat the same way. I'd like to think so,
anyway.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/