Subject: (urth) Jayne's Adduction

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:00:12 +0000

> > I also found Jayne's hypothesis unlikely, as it fails to explain
> > why the world is not still full of people who see gods.  I think he
> > points to reading as crucial (if I recall correctly), but while
> > literacy may work for some, there are still a lot of illiterates
> > who seem to be self-conscious.  On the other hand, I like the

I'm not sure what the problem is. There really are alot of illiterates who
are self-conscious *and see gods*. The Yanomamo are quite self-consious
and yet, Spirit of the Rainforest (Mark Andrew Ritchie) portrays the
demons that haunt every nook and cranny of their world.

Doesn't Jayne's hypothesis argue for some biochemical shift in brain
physiology (recent evolution) to account for the move towards
self-consciouness?

Anybody read any Owen Barfield? He also talks about the move from
"Original Participation" (seeing Gods, being one with the universe) to
atomism and them back to "Final Participation".  I wonder if he was
influential on Lewis' view of ancient man's capacities?

"I am an impure thinker. I am hurt, swayed, shaken, |  paul           + | +
elated, disillusioned, shocked, comforted, and I    |                 --|--
have to transmit my mental experiences lest I die." |                 + | +
                     --  Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy    |  pduggan at world.std.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/