Subject: (urth) Chesterton

From: Alice Turner <al at smtp.emailserv.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 16:35:50 +0000

How interesting to read in that Borges site (for which, thanks) that both
Neil Gaiman and Umberto Eco are fond of G.K. Chesterton.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 17:25:48 +0000

>Neil Gaiman and Umberto Eco are fond of G.K. Chesterton.

The Gaiman fact is pretty well-established--there's a character in
_Sandman_ who is clearly Chesterton. (Gilbert, who features prominently in
the second story arc, "A Doll's House", with occasional other appearances
throughout the series, is physically and temperamentally very much modeled
on Chesterton.)

Or were you commenting on the delightful oddity of learning about Gaiman's
fondness for Chesterton on a Borges site?

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html

---

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 20:31:03 +0000

He's turning up everywhere. I've just started to read Harold
Bloom's -Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human-. On p 10:

"Though G.K. Chesterton liked to think that Shakespeare was a Catholic, at
least in spirit, Chesterton was too good a critic to locate Shakespeare's
universalism in Christianity. We might learn from that not to shape
Shakespeare by our own cultural politics. Comparing Shakespeare with Dante,
Chesterton emphasized Date's spaciousness in dealing with Christian love and
Christian liberty, whereas Shakespeare "was a pagan, in so far as he is at
his greatest is describing great spirits in chaos."....

-alga