Subject: (urth) Chesterton. Gaiman

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 17:54:20 +0000

>From Wombat:

>The Gaiman fact is pretty well-established--there's a character in
>_Sandman_ who is clearly Chesterton. (Gilbert, who features prominently in
>the second story arc, "A Doll's House", with occasional other appearances
>throughout the series, is physically and temperamentally very much modeled
>on Chesterton.)
>
>Or were you commenting on the delightful oddity of learning about Gaiman's
>fondness for Chesterton on a Borges site?

Well, hmmm,  the second. I've never read a word of -Sandman-; I suppose I
should. Though I cottoned to Gaiman right away as an interesting short story
writer. That "Troll Bridge" (?) keeps coming back to me at the oddest
moments.

=alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 18:12:00 +0000

>writer. That "Troll Bridge" (?) keeps coming back to me at the oddest

Well, I'm quite fond of _Sandman_. It's very easy to overpraise it, but
there's some really first-rate work in it, especially in the scattered
short stories. Wolfe is, by evidence, a reader of it, of course; he had a
story in the _Sandman_ prose collection a couple of years back. (One of his
folk music stories--does anyone have a list of all of these?)

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html