Subject: (urth) AE&3

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:14:00 +0000

Raster,

Re: "by noyade" and chapter 29 of THE SWORD OF THE LICTOR.  Say more
. . . seems to me that chapter 30 might be closer to "by noyade"
(i.e., the fate of Severian's captors after he blows up their boat)
but even then I had never thought to make the connection between that
scene and the brown book.

Uh, oh-DUH.  Looking over chapter 29 I see the word itself--Severian
is wondering if they will dispatch him via noyade.  THIS is what you
are talking about!  That =is= a curious touchstone . . . noyade
being a technical term we might expect a torturer to know, but the
editors/writers of the brown book?  (Maybe they had a technical
consultant?)

"Noyade" is also interesting by itself because it is more modern
(Revolutionary France) than medieval when compared with a lot of the
other torturing terms used in the Urth Cycle: OED gives "noyade" at
circa 1794, first text citation 1822.

Egad, maybe the brown book tale is one from the French Revolution!
(In the same twisted way that "The Tale of the Student and His Son"
is from the American War Between the States; and how "The Tale of the
Boy Called Frog" relates to the early English colonies in North
America.)

But anyway, your point being that the brown book at that
wind-in-the-leaves moment acts like an oracle (at least), in the same
way that the Vatic Fountain works.  So then, your challenge <g> is to
find a few of the other tidbits, like:

"soulless warrior!"

and

"lucid yellow"

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Charles Dye <raster at highfiber.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 18:25:46 +0000

mantis challenges:

>"soulless warrior!" and "lucid yellow"

I have not been able to locate either phrase.  "Soulless warrior," if
I really wanted to stretch a point, might refer to the Ascian armies,
and "lucid yellow" to the forthcoming New Sun.  But it feels more
natural to me to assume that these are bits from someone else's stories.

Another peculiar snippet is revealed in Chapter XXVIII of "Sword":

"[Again] she leaped, and twisting round the columns of the carapace...."

Which reminds me rather strongly of one of Number Five's dreams in
Fifth Head.  Curiouser and curiouser.

raster at highfiber.com