Subject: (urth) Re: GURPS BOTNS

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:24:00 +0000

Wombat (and Kieran Mullen),

The short answer is that if "GURPS Book of the New Sun" was out, I'd
tell you--believe me, I'd tell you.

It is not out yet, nor is it slated for publication (although at one
point I seem to recall seeing it slated for 1997 . . . that must have
been in 1996), nor does it look like it will be.

The "Pyramid" article on said project (which Wombat refers to--and
thanks for the compliment on the article, Wombat!) was published in
issue number four (Nov/Dec 1993).  Five years ago (objective time).

The first draft of GURPS New Sun was turned in on time and uploaded
for playtesting.  A year or so went by.  Instructions for a pre-final
rewrite were handed down.  This requested second draft was turned in
on time, two or three years ago, and apparently never uploaded for
playtest/review.  (Turned in by me, I might as well bluntly point
out, since I am the author and instigator of the whole cursed
project.)  It has been used as desk ballast, or so I've been told.

Fine vaporware, standing shoulder to shoulder with "GURPS Survivors"
and "GURPS Martyrs of Genghis Khan" <g>.

At this late date (seven years [objective time] in, but who's
counting?), anybody wanting to play something like TBOTNS should
probably just buy the science fantasy role-playing game "Fading Suns"
(1996) and tweek it a bit.  (Since I sense all sorts of copyright
infringment or "unacknowledged homage" to Gene Wolfe in "Fading
Suns"; but I'm probably just insanely bitter about this and Wombat,
with his greater knowledge of the gaming industry and its
intersection with the Law, Wombat, I say, could probably point out
the fine line which "Fading Suns" doesn't cross.  Keywords: "Gods &
Demigods" [first edition]; hobbits into bobbits, balrogs into
balrons; issues of "look and feel"; etc.)

Those on a tight budget could probably squeek by with the "Pyramid"
article and Metagaming's "The Fantasy Trip" (1980), or just "Melee"
and "Wizard" (1977).

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:49:33 +0000

>article and Metagaming's "The Fantasy Trip" (1980), or just "Melee"

Actually, at this point, it would probably be cheaper to buy _Gurps: Basic
Set_ than _Melee_ and _Wizard_....

I'm sorry to hear that _GURPS: New Sun_ got pocket-vetoed by SJGames. I
certainly would have bought one, and I've never played GURPS in my life.
(GURPS sourcebooks are generally done as labors of love, and they're
immensely useful as research guides to, say, ancient Egypt, Imperial Rome,
the Crusades, etc. I have half-a-dozen of them, and should probably get
more; _GURPS: Arabian Nights_ has the only lucid explanation of classical
Arabic names I've ever read, and was of immense help when I was writing the
second edition of Eric Goldberg's _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ game.)

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html

---

From: Derek Bell <dbell at maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:03:12 +0000

>been in 1996), nor does it look like it will be.

	Terribly pity - I'd certainly have bought it if it was
available. Both as a Gene Wolfe fan and a gamer, I'd have found it of
great interest.

	Does SJG still have legal rights to the book?

>issue number four (Nov/Dec 1993).  Five years ago (objective time).

	It was a very good article - even non-gamers would appreciate
it, as it covers the general history & post-history of Urth. It's
quite an impressive piece that taught me more about Urth. 

	Derek

---

From: Kieran Mullen <kieran at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:20:01 +0000

(1)  Is it worth pestering SJ Games?  If they perceive fan interest,
       it might help.

(2)  Would you sell copies of your manuscript?

                Kieran Mullen

 Kieran Mullen                         email: kieran at mail.nhn.ou.edu
 Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        phone: (405) 325-3961
 The University of Oklahoma            FAX: (405) 325-7557
 Norman, OK 73019, USA                 http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~kieran/