Subject: (urth) Game Drift Finale

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:06:00 +0000

Wombat,

Ah, "Tales of the Arabian Nights" in limbo.  I guess it happens a
lot, but I really wish it didn't happen to my projects and things I'm
looking for.  Selfish of me, I know.

Then again, German games seem to be going gang-busters these days, so
maybe "TotAN" will become another smash hit/import like "Settlers of
Cataan" (sp?) is/was!

Re: SJGames website (io.com) availability of first-draft "GURPS
BOTNS," I have no idea.

Re: "Fading Suns," no, I was just curious as to what opinions you
might have formed of it before I hinted my biased opinions.  I
withhold recommendation, and find myself increasingly wary/weary of
games that do not include bibliographies (granted that such may well
be a result of "Cover Your Fundament" strategies learned from TSR's
legal hassles, but still--the venerable and seminal "D&D" listed
Barsoom, Vance, and others).

Re: "GURPS Basic" now days more low budget than "Melee" and "Wizard."
Well, maybe . . . like a dog-eared used "GURPS Basic" vs. unpunched
mint condition "Melee"/"Wizard"?  Thing of it is, the current version
of GURPS =requires= not only the latest edition of "Basic" ("Third
Edition Revised") but also "Compendium I: Character Creation," and
I'm guessing that these two cost $20 each, maybe a bit more.  And I
could've sworn I've seen non-mint "Melee"/"Wizard" in the $10 each
range.

To spare other list readers we should take this into private e-mail.

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:07:44 +0000

>To spare other list readers we should take this into private e-mail.

Probably. I did want to make one other point of moderately general
interest, which is that Steve Jackson has developed "GURPS Lite", a
boiled-down version of GURPS in 24 pages, designed to be included in
worldbooks deemed to be of interest to an audience beyond hardened
role-players. 

The first product to include the GURPS Lite rules was _GURPS Discworld_,
the sourcebook for role-playing in Terry Pratchett's famous light fantasy
world. 

_GURPS New Sun_ with _GURPS Light_ rules seems like a good book for
crossover sales to an sf reader of a certain type....

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html