Subject: (urth) inscriptions

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:57:00 +0000

Matthew Freestone and Gordon Brain,

Re: Marble Arch(es), inscriptions, Hyde Park.  I'm curious what clues
might be on the arch(es), but it is probably too much work for too
little.  So call off the search!

Here's a Latin inscription that seems to be from a building facing
roughly south or west, in the general Hyde Park area (or an alternate
reality Hyde Park area):

IAM*REDIT*ET*VIRGO*REDEUNT*SATURNIA*REGNA

As you all know, I don't understand Latin.  After some study, this
line looks to me to be something like "Now [blank] and Virgin they
return the reign of Juno."

But "redit" can mean "the matter comes up again," making the line
"Now the matter comes up again and the Girl/Maiden they return to the
throne of Juno" (Girl Power! <g>).

If this inscription is real, I'd like to know about the
building/monument it adorns.  In any event, I encourage those who
know Latin to tell me what it says!

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Matthew Freestone <matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:40:22 +0000

>little.  So call off the search!
Sad man that I am, I decided I would have to see the arches for myself
(don't worry, I only live 20 minutes or so from central London) and
having done so, I can confirm there are definitely no inscriptions on
either arch.

cheers,
--                              II         |\      _,,,---,,_
Matt Freestone                  II    zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.
matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk    II        |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
www.matthewf.demon.co.uk/       II       '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)