Subject: (urth) Emmet Otter's Jugband Castle

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:42:30 +0000

>Re: CASTLE OF THE OTTER.  This is now part of CASTLE OF DAYS (an
>omnibus of COTA and GENE WOLFE'S BOOK OF DAYS, a collection of short
>stories, and a third section of previously uncollected stuff).  You
>pretty much need it.  Somebody around here quietly argues that "Books
>in TBOTNS" of PLAN[E]T ENGINEERING ought to have been put into CASTLE
>OF DAYS, and there is merrit to that notion since it is the only Urth
>essay in PE, and a powerful one at that.

If you mean me (and it's conceivable that you don't), what I've argued
for is slightly more radical: I'd like to see OTTER reissued under
that name, with "Books in Books of the New Sun" substituted for what
seems like several chapters worth of capsule rave reviews that Wolfe
included in the original edition.  I don't know if it was vanity or
the desire to fill out pages, but it gets a bit tiresome after a
while.  It might also be nice to have an additional essay by Wolfe on
the entire series, since OTTER actually predates CITADEL; indeed, its
title is a play on the mis-reported title presented in a LOCUS "coming
attractions" feature.

D

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/