Subject: (urth) Starbirth

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 18:55:49 +0000

>
>From: Derek Bell <dbell at maths.tcd.ie>

> Just to be contra-contradictory :-), there is also the
>oft-quoted passage "I tell you: one must have chaos in one, to give
>birth to a dancing star." Well, Severian doesn't create or *give
>birth* to the New Sun, but he is full of chaos - all those autarchial
>personas inside!

Er, ahem, let me note parentheticially that not only metaphorically and
mystically, but in some sense literally, the sexual union of Sev and Apheta
does indeed create or conceive the New Sun. Which is not exactly the same as
gving birth, but pretty close.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 02:42:00 +0000

As alga says.

Apheta.  The star of a nativity: the nativity of a star.

Scarey, circular, yet somehow . . . it makes sense.

Back to the "Terminus Est" Latin tangle, obviously I'm on the side
that says, "Write the essay anyway, even if your initial impulse
wasn't immediately validated by the Vulgate."

In other news: got a snail letter the other day from our old Wolfe
list friend Adam Stephanides.  He has some things to say.  I'll tell
all later.

=mantis=

---

From: Derek Bell <dbell at maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 19:49:39 +0000

>gving birth, but pretty close.

	Good point! Guess it shows how long it is since I've read that
book!

	Which makes me wonder how much non-solar stellar imagery I've missed.

	Derek