Subject: (urth) Severian the Liar

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:55:39 +0000

It might be interesting to collect Severian's lies.  It has been remarked
on occasion that he is an unreliable narrator, but we haven't listed more
than one or two of his misleading or incorrect statements.  Just to get
things going I'll mention one I noticed last night (yes, I've been
compelled to read it again).

In _Shadow_, after Severian's first visit to the House Azure, he remarks
that after that he gave Roche (Drotte?, whomever) the money and never went
back.  However, later on, when he is with Agia, he remarks that he had been
with "hired women in the town," implying multiple visits.

     -- Dave Lebling
     (aka vizcacha)
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Matthew Malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 01:31:59 +0000

> with "hired women in the town," implying multiple visits.

But nothing in that sugests that he returned to the House Azure itself. It
can't have been the only brothel in the quarter.

It may be that the phrase he used to Agia was a misdirection to forstall her
asking details?

Matthew