Subject: (urth) Re: Delage collage

From: Damien Broderick <damien at ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:25:48 +0000

A friend writes:

>Nancy Lebovitz read the Wolfe discussion in NYRSF and suggested that the
>Wolfe story has a number of connections to a Henry Kuttner story called
>"Children's Hour." 

I haven't read the Kuttner for many decades so can't take this any further
(but I seem to recall that both Knight and Budrys troped on it later).
Anyone?

Damien Broderick

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 00:31:13 +0000

>(but I seem to recall that both Knight and Budrys troped on it later).

I hadn't read "The Children's Hour" by Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore for
years myself but I did recall that it was in _A Treasury of Great Science
Fiction_ edited by Anthony Boucher. I am the proud owner of a Science
Fiction Book Club edition of this or was, for when I tried to find my copy
after reading the message quoted above, I couldn't.

But I have been able to come up with another copy and have reread the
story. I would say that the story really only has one connection to
"Suzanne Delage"; it is about a man who has had a number of extraordinary
(related) experiences but has totally forgotten about them, except under
hypnosis, which is how he finds out he has had them. But in this case the
authors of the extraordinary experiences are the cause of the memory loss,
rather than the man's own sense of mediocrity.

I will post a summary of the story soon when I have more time, if anyone is
interested, and maybe even if no one is.

William Ansley