Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v022.n016

From: Kieran Mullen <kieran at brigit.nhn.ou.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 01:51:46 +0000

I've been incommunicado due to a misunderstanding between my computer
and the listserver.  Someone asked about _Bibliomen_ a while back.  I
tried to post the following review:

=================================================================
"Bibliomen:  Twenty Two Characters in Search of a Book", is a
brilliant and curious little work.  It contains twenty one (yes, only
twenty-one, which is itself curious) 2-3 page biographies that are
intricately intertwined.  Characters write biographies about characters
that never existed.  These characters then have their own biographies
later.  Some characters die mysteriously.  Louis Gold, from "Peace,"
makes a brief appearance.

    It's like an intricate monkey-fist knot, or perhaps a page from the
Book of Kells.  There are all these delicate connections.  It's very
Borges-ian.  It's also fun.

    I paid $7.50 for a soft-cover.  It's short (about 95 pages), and
about 1/3 of it are illustrations.

    Strongly recommended!
=================================================================

   Speaking of reviews, I was browsing amazon.com and was surprised
to see that a lot of Wolfe's books don't have any reader reviews 
posted.  It would be a great service if some knowledgeable souls would
write a short bit for some of books listed.  It would also help promote
Wolfe's work.   _Castle of Days_ has no reviews, _Endangered Species_
has only one, _The Devil in a Forest_ and _Soldier of Arete_ have no
reviews either.

   Finally, can anyone provide a review for the audio tapes that
Wolfe has recorded and are listed on amazon.com?  Are they any good?
Do they lend anything new?

                 Kieran Mullen

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/