Subject: (urth) Severian's relationship with Thecla

From: xury <xury at pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:46:27 +0000

confused his memory, I have come across an interesting point that I need
some clarification with: Has Severian had carnal relations (or sex, for us
simple minded) with the Chatelaine Thecla? 
                                                                            
    Xury

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 01:27:55 +0000

On Jan 7,  4:46pm, xury at pacbell.net wrote:
>         Thinking about the cases in which Severian has lied, or at least

	That depends on the meaning of the word "is."
	No, seriously, unless Severian is lying, he did have sex with Thecla.
Best reference being (in my opinion) chapter XXXI ("The People of the Lake") in
SWORD, where Severian says "Pia and I spend the night on one of the floating
islands, where I, who had entered Thecla so often when she was unchained but a
prisoner, now entered Pia when she was still chained but free."
	As far as I can recall, this is the first (and only) definitive
statement by Severian that he and Thecla were lovers, although it is certainly
hinted at much earlier (as in the House Azure).

-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
Senior (Computer Science/Multidisciplinary Studies in Technology & Fiction)
'98-99 NCSU AITP Student Chapter President
608 Charleston Road, Apt. 1E (919)-233-7366
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce