Subject: (urth) John Crowley curiousity

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:41:03 +0000

The Daily Telegraph reports today that a second 1856 British Guiana 1-penny
stamp has been discovered. 

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000647321007942&rtmo=3uSxxYqM&atmo=KKKKKKr
M&P4_FOLLOW_ON=/99/1/20/wsta20.html&pg=/et/99/1/20/wsta20.html>

The reason I mention this is that I'm pretty sure that this is the stamp
which is the lynchpin of John Crowley's _Great Work of Time_. 

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies 
   kmaroney at crossover.com | (212) 777-1190

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:11:00 +0000

Wombat,

Ah, what colour is the stamp?(!)

Well, if they are reporting that a second 1856 1-penny stamp has been
found, it must be magenta.  Wow!  Spooky!  What kind of cancellation
does it have--that is, whose initials?!  (Since they were
hand-canceled with personal initials.)  Where was it "found"?

If the discoverer's name is "Caspar Last," grab tight your chairs,
ladies and jellybeans, because things are going to get very
weird--retroactively and forevermore.

(Of course, you, Wombat, are the Man Who Knew Too Much.  You will
have to be eliminated.  Watch the shadows--trust no one.)

=mantis=

---

From: Charles Dye <raster at highfiber.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:05:32 +0000

>stamp has been discovered. 

This appeared in our local paper as well.  The article made an appropriate
bookmark.

raster at highfiber.com