Subject: (urth) Re: The Black Grail and things Broderickian

From: Rich Horton <rrhorton at concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:05:31 +0000

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:10:15 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>An ultraquick note to bring others up to speed on THE BLACK GRAIL.
>
>This is a book firmly in the tradition of THE DYING EARTH.  It was
>published in 1986, but is really an expansion of an earlier novel,
>SORCERER'S WORLD (published 1970).

Confession time: despite owning copies of _The White Abacus_ and _The
Sea's Furthest End_, the only Damien Broderick book I've read is
_Sorcerer's World_.  Which I suspect wouldn't be the book Damien would
choose as his main representative to the world, though it's not bad,
in the Vancean Dying Earth tradition.  Though replete with cutesy
names which spelled backward are jokes.

So which should I read next, Damien?  TWA or TSFE?  Though to be sure,
I also just picked up _Door Number Three_, so I have lots of
listmember work to anticipate. <g>
-- 
Rich Horton | rrhorton at concentric.net
Web Page: www.sff.net/people/richard.horton  (New reviews of 
_Halfway Human_ and _The Star Fraction_ and _Deepdrive_.)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/