Subject: (urth) Peace

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 01:08:57 +0000

How quiet this list has been lately. We have not discussed everything in the
non-LS works of Wolfe, so their is not reason no one is talking.

I'm re-reading PEACE, and this time I am approaching it with the knowledge
that Weer is dead. I am puzzled, however, by the other characters of the book
in the office of Dr. Van Ness in the novel's early pages. I do not know
whether these characters are recreations out of Weer's memory, or perhaps
fellow deceased persons awaked by the storm which resurrected Weer.

The way these characters engage in small talk, as if they actually were alive
and waiting to see the doctor, make me think they are resurrected just as Weer
is. On the other hand, the way Wolfe is aloof from them seems to mean that he
knows they are dead and are merely recreations of the townspeople he knew.

I have some more questions to raise about Weer's status, but I shall save
those for after I know people are still out there <g>

Cheers,

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
President Pro-Tempore of USEJ
Prezidanto Dumtempa de USEJ
------------------------------------------------------
http://ttt.esperanto.org/usej/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/