Subject: (urth) The Wolfe Library (of Babel)

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:58:05 +0000

shelf.  Suzanne Delage of course, and a major influence on narrative structure
of PEACE and BOTNS.

	Also, maybe throw in some Lafferty--not that it's a visible influence
on Wolfe's work, in my opinion, but Wolfe's introduced some of his small press
works, and is definitely a fan of Lafferty's quirky vision.  Besides, they
often seem to be coming from the same kind of theological/philosophical POV
(both conservative Catholics with some odd ideas on evolution and the various
mythologies of the world...)
	Similarly, I'd add something by Avram Davidson (perhaps the collection
of Dr. Esterhazy stories Wolfe introduced?), another offbeat writer that Wolfe
has praised fairly often.
	And one last thing--somewhere, I can't recall where, Wolfe said that
Robert Coover's baseball book (HENRY J. WAUGH, something or other UNIVERSAL
BASEBALL ASSOCIATION) is one of his favorite novels.

I think mantis is correct that an item of a general FAQ should be a list of
every book/author Wolfe has mentioned in an interview.  Another would be a
listing of books by other writers that list members feel would appeal to Lupine
addicts.

-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
Senior (Computer Science/Multidisciplinary Studies in Technology & Fiction)
'98-99 NCSU AITP Student Chapter President
608 Charleston Road, Apt. 1E (919)-233-7366
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/