Subject: (urth) Coover

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:13:11 +0000

>From: "Alex David Groce" <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
>    And one last thing--somewhere, I can't recall where, Wolfe said that
>Robert Coover's baseball book (HENRY J. WAUGH, something or other
UNIVERSAL
>BASEBALL ASSOCIATION) is one of his favorite novels.

That's _The Universal Baseball Association, Inc; J. Henry Waugh,
Proprietor_.  Also one of _my_ favorite books.  It should be required
reading for "subcreators," gameplayers, and dungeoneers.

     -- Dave Lebling
     (aka vizcacha)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:19:54 +0000

> reading for "subcreators," gameplayers, and dungeoneers.

	Ah, that's it.  It's been years since I read it.  Great book--much more
satisfying, IMO, than Coover's short fiction.
	We should also throw in works used in Wolfe stories, such as "Mary
Rose" and the Vidal play (can't recall the title) from SEVEN AMERICAN NIGHTS.

-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
Senior (Computer Science/Multidisciplinary Studies in Technology & Fiction)
'98-99 NCSU AITP Student Chapter President
608 Charleston Road, Apt. 1E (919)-233-7366
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:52:45 +0000

Coover is an amazing genius; _The Public Burning_ is one of the Great
American Novels. 

>Rose" and the Vidal play (can't recall the title) from SEVEN AMERICAN NIGHTS.

_Visit to a Small Planet_. 

Incidentally, while doing some background research for a piece we ran on
"Seven American Nights" a couple of years back, we at NYRSF redisovered
something which John Kessel had first pointed out to me back in 1986:
Vidal's play, as published, does not match up with the play as presented in
"Seven American Nights". 

We were not able to determine if the differences could be traced to the
(known) multiple versions of the screenplay--there were at least two and
possibly three significantly different versions (two different televised
versions, neither of which seems to be identical to the version published
in book form). It is possible Wolfe based his version on one of the
televised versions, or it is possible that the text "drifted" between now
and the future of "Seven American Nights". 

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies 
   kmaroney at crossover.com | (212) 777-1190

---

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:16:11 +0000

Surprised to learn Wolfe digs Coover.

My favorite Coover by far is PRICKSONGS AND DESCANTS.

Patrick O'Leary