Subject: (urth) The Wonderful Free Live

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:40:00 +0000

William H. Ansley,

No pressure, but once you've "completed" your work on "Eyeflash," you
can mine another Wolfe-does-Oz by annotating FREE LIVE FREE.  (Are
there any other direct Oz expressways in Wolfe?)

While you've got the Oz loaded up in your brain.

But first things first.

As for THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR DEATH AND OTHER STORIES AND OTHER
STORIES, I still weep that there has never been a hardcover edition
of this book.  And at this rate and/or point, there will probably
never be one.

For a time I toyed with the madcap idea of buying a half-dozen copies
of the reprint (trade paperback) and having them re-bound as
hardcovers--an expensive proposition, but not when compared to the
cost/labor of small press publishing, and/or the time wasted waiting
for someone else to do something that will probably never be done,
and/or paying the premium price if/when some specialty press actually
does it.

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 00:10:41 +0000

>there any other direct Oz expressways in Wolfe?)

mantis,

I may try this; I am rather fond of FLF. But despite the many times I've
read that FLF is a loose retelling of the _Wizard of Oz_, I don't buy it.
The only real Oz reference is the clown character singing a parody of the
song "If I only had a brain/heart/nerve" from the musical (movie) version.
Any other Oz resemblances are so vague as to have been lost on me so far.
And I have read FLF more than once.

Well, maybe next time... but not any time real soon.

William Ansley

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 23:27:29 +0000

>Well, maybe next time... but not any time real soon.

I take the above back, partly. Shortly after I sent it, I remembered that
Little Ozzie sings "We're Off to See the Wizard" at some point in FLF.
Maybe I'll have to re-read FLF sooner than I thought and see if I forgot
any more Oz stuff.

William Ansley