Subject: Re: (urth) McAuley as Wolfe Lite

From: Kieran Cleary <kierannwn at tinet.ie>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 11:52:12 +0000

Anybody read Paul J. McAuley's Child of The River (first book of the
Confluence series)? The stylistic and
thematic similarities are so obviously close to Wolfe, it must be some sort
of homage. One major flaw though: McAuley tells us too much. Where Wolfe is
coy and oblique, McAuley rushes in with the solution and the effect in a
lupine setting is slightly jarring. The book is similar in style to tBotNS
while the plot owes more to tBotLS. Worth a read.

Kieran C.

North West Labs
Finisklin Industrial Estate
Sligo
Republic of Ireland

Tel. +353 71 69441
Fax. +353 71 69451
email: kierannwn at tinet.ie

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 22:29:53 +0000

>while the plot owes more to tBotLS. Worth a read.

Wow, a book written like Wolfe but with an author who's not coy and
oblique. I don't know if I could stand it. The relief, that is. <G>

William Ansley