Subject: Re: Ozflash helper (was: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v022.n037)

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 22:45:32 +0000

>Thanks for your Oz-Eyeflash material, which I would have helped you with
>except that I've been unable to post. Here's another try. The Munchkins
>(blue) are usually to the east of Oz, while the Winkies (yellow) are to the
>west. I say "usually" because one of the earliest maps reversed them, and
>confusion followed. But the Gillikens (purple) are always to the north and
>the Quadlings (red) to the south.
>

alga,

You're welcome. I'm glad to see that there is at least one other Ozophile
on this list. Any help you wish to provide will be gratefully received.

I didn't know about the reversed map (or had forgotten). Interesting! One
thing I have concluded from my Oz readings is that Baum didn't care at all
about consistency and therefore confusion runs rampant through the Oz
series. There is another good case of inconsistency I will mention at the
end of my series of postings (yes, there is more to come!), since it is
related to the Oz character Tip about whom I will have much more to say as
well.

>If this goes through, I'll send some more.
>

It did, so please do.

I have had a bad cold for the past two days and so haven't had the energy
to finish up my Oz postings, but I will do so this weekend. I will also
boil down my self-indulgent ramblings to convenient FAQ size, since that
was the supposed point of all this Ozflash stuff.

William Ansley

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/