Subject: (urth) Stuff

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:32:07 +0000

to have rekindled some activity on the list. Secondly, I am not a typist, so
I can't jot off rapid replies like Mr. Ansley <g> , and I'm a little
overwhelmed by the volume, as I subscribe to the daily digest, not the
individual messages, which makes it hard to cut-and-paste and still maintain
attributions. Also, I don't get the digest until the wee sma' hours, as I am
two hours later than the west-coast mailings.

    That said, I would like to thank Mr. Millman for his welcome. And "Roy"
will do.

    To Mr. Ansley: First, you are correct about my assumption re. the
alphabetical nature of roll calls, as I, personally, have never experienced
them to be otherwise. Perhaps the fact that the Ws were at the top of the
stairway, rather than the bottom, is suggestive of an alternate ordering
convention. (Or maybe Wolfe was just making a not-so-subtle evaluation of
his work!) <g> At any rate, as I said in my previous post, it is a small
point, not worth the argument. Finally, my wife said that you are probably
right, and I am probably wrong about the roll call. I concede. Will that
suffice? Besides, it is stated somewhere in the archives that Wolfe is
purported to have stated explicitly that the narrator's name is "Wolfe", and
it would make no sense for his first name to be other than "Gene".

Roy

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/