Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v022.n048

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:35:15 +0000

Hi, I'm new here.

My teacher told me this newsgroup is where to go to delve into serious
literary criticism/commentary re: Gene Wolfe--a writer of some merit, I'm
told, who transcends the typical SCI-FI. I've not read him yet but I hope to
start. And I had hoped to garnish some insight for my senior thesis:
"Exceptions To The Rules of Mediocrity in Popular Genres." But what do I find?
Pompous summaries of Paul McCartney's old group before Wings. Theological
Meditations on Gilligan Island. Heck, I can get that anywhere on the net--Why
go here? And another thing:

" Because I could not stop for Death,
   He kindly stopped for me; 
   The carriage held but just ourselves 
   And immortality. 

That's the last verse to "The Yellow Rose of Texas" not a TV themesong. Don't
you people know anything?

Newt

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Jack Lyons <revjack at radix.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:43:16 +0000

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 Patri10629 at aol.com wrote:

:Hi, I'm new here.

Hello Newt! Welcome to the Pet Shop Boys lyrics list.

I think your teacher was trolling you, that verse came from
Dorothy Parker.

RJ
-- 
_________________
revjack at radix.net

---

From: Marc Coleman <marc.coleman at mwcia.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:03:15 +0000

At 03:35 PM 2/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>start. 
Start, then!!!   marc