Subject: (urth) Re: "Robert" in _Shadow_ Digest urth.v024.n005

From: John Bishop <jbishop at blkbrd.zko.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 15:32:16 +0000

I think all or most of the little asides are a reference
to something; the airplane is a clue which I can't decipher,
but if there isn't a (reasonably) famous Robert and Marie
in a jungle in the 1920s-1970s time frame, I'll be surprised.
The naked "native" is a clue; and the dialog might well be
lifted/approximated.

Along those lines, there are three paintings we see described
in Severian's visit to the Library: one is explained (the 
astronaut on the Moon), but the other two are a mystery to me.
Has some other person figured them out?

I did catch that when Valeria translates the "Latin" (which
Wolfe tells us is used to stand in for another langauge), 
she gets it wrong.  I _think_ this is meant to be humorous,
and a hint that she's trying to impress Severian; it may be
also a hint to us that some things _aren't_ what they seem.

	-John

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/