Subject: (urth) Ozflash Revised, Part 0

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 23:46:49 +0000

The New Improved Wonderful Eyeflash of Oz
Oz References in "The Eyeflash Miracles" Part 0

Since there has been such a long hiatus in my postings on Oz references in
Gene Wolfe's story "The Eyeflash Miracles" and since I have been continuing
to read Oz books and have some new ideas about material I have already
covered, I am going to post a whole new series of essays including somewhat
revised versions of my original set of postings.

First I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question about
Little Tib's prayer for a ride (on a cattle truck, garbage truck, etc.):
Tony Ellis, John Bishop and anyone else I may have missed. I thought I was
missing some obvious Biblical or Christian reference, but I guess not. I
think now that the feeling of familiarity I had was due to a kind of deja
vu I sometimes get when I study a story too closely; suddenly I think I've
seen the passages I'm reading before (which is true--I've just read them
for the umpteenth time) and somewhere else (which is false in these cases).

I have been working on Oz references in "The Eyeflash Miracles," on and
off, ever since my first posting. Lately I have been reading more Oz books
and have found another couple of references. I have also been finding Oz
books to read; all of the Oz text I have been using for my research has
been from "etext" version of the books posted various places on line. Many
of the Oz books are now in the public domain and they can be so posted
without any copyright violations.

I am still going to post my analysis of Oz references in "The Eyeflash
Miracles" in parts, since it is so long, but I am going to finish it in its
revised form before I post any of it, so all of you eagerly waiting for me
to finish won't have to wait this time. 8->
(Well, I'm not quite done, but since a message referring to my Ozflash
postings has just appeared, I think it's time to get the ball rolling.)

William Ansley

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/