Subject: (urth) Oz is Heaven?

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:18:17 +0000

> Gosh, if I thought I had a chance of going to Oz when I died, I'd try to
be
> a better person....

alga,

Read _Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West_, by
Gregory Maguire, and you may think again about that wish...

I recommend this book highly!

     -- Dave Lebling
     (aka vizcacha)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:44:46 +0000

>I recommend this book highly!

I have seen this book referred to before, perhaps on this list, and was
intrigued by the idea. This recent mention, coupled with my recent
re-reading of several Oz books prompted me to read it.

Although it is an interesting book and Gregory Maguire reveals a very
thorough knowledge of the Oz books as well as the movie (undoubtedly more
thorough than mine), I cannot second vizcacha's recommendation. Even if I
liked the book I would still have to say that it is silly to try to use it
as a means of changing anyone's opinion about the desirability of visiting
Oz. Maguire has used elements of Baum's Oz but has so altered and
rearranged them that he has come up with an entirely different (and
thoroughly unpleasant) place. I think that Baum, as the originator of Oz,
should be used as the authority on the subject, not some guy who is using
the Wicked Witch of the West as a convenient metaphor for Evil.
(Personally, I don't think Oz qualifies as heaven even if you do just stick
to Baum's books.)

I just removed a long paragraph I wrote about why I don't like this book,
because this is too long for an off-topic message already. I'll just say
that I am glad I got the book from a library instead of buying it.

William Ansley